Sunday, May 31, 2009

School's Out

I can't believe that school is out! I just can't believe it! It seems like I was just barely starting school in January. I really liked public school. I liked Band. It was so fun!

On the last day of school there was an awards ceremony. I got a Social Studies award. I also got the award of best female writer in 7th grade! I was happy. I wrote a story for English. Here it is.

My Song
My heart pounded as I strode onto the stage. I tried to act calm and poised, but in reality I was more afraid than I had ever been. The stage lights flooded onto my midnight blue dress like the sun at noonday.
I had dreamed of this moment all my life, but I had forgotten how terrorizing it could be. I only had one chance to show the world what I could do. This was that chance. Could I do it? Well, that wasn't an option anymore. I could and I would.
I took the microphone off it's stand. The music started. I smiled in spite of myself. The music sounded so familiar. I was ready. I opened my mouth and sang.
Oh, I sang! My voice filled every corner of the gigantic hall. I wasn't singing the song. I was the song. the music weaved through the crowd like clear water, cool and strong. I realized I wasn't afraid anymore. I was actually enjoying myself. I was living my dream, fulfilling my passion, doing what I loved the most.
The song ended. It was over. The crowd burst into adoring applause. Every human being in the room stood up. They had liked it! They had actually liked it! I smiled again. My heart was no longer pounding. It was rejoicing. I had done it. I had sung. I had faced my fear, and shown the world what I could do. And now, now I was triumphant!

2 comments:

Thelma said...

Clarissa! That is a wonderful essay you wrote. Did you win best 7th grade writer at WHS or in all of the world? Because I think you may qualify for both.

I am however, a little unhappy that you rubbed it in that you are done with school

We. Are. Not.

Jennifer said...

Clarissa, that was AWESOME. Great job. I'm excited that I'm going to be neighbors with such an amazing girl.